Skip to main content

Voice of Indrahanians - My 2 Cents

The toastmaster club was a chance incident that Patrick Daya over the course of a dinner spoke to me about. It was sometime in Oct’08. I have heard about Toast Masters Clubs long before this but had never had the opportunity of having one of my friend/colleague actually being actively involved in one. So out of curiosity I asked him if he could bring me along. He kindly did. As we were both from the same office building, I trailed him to the venue. It was a great first time experience – my first visit as a guest, in November 08. Besides Patrick was really a very solicitous host, Jen Wong, Jade, Choi Woon and Yeoh went out of their way to make me feel at home. The speeches that day was from May and Patrick. I remembered how supportive and nurturing the environment was. There was no sense of threat and comments/critique were given sincerely and received good naturedly. It was a very positive experience indeed. I attended another 2 sessions, this time bringing my husband along. The spin off from that was really energizing for both of us. So I decided to sign on while my hubby will come as a regular guest as his timing is less flexible.


Joining the club, was not a case of shopping for the best fish in the market. I felt good and right during my visit to Taman Indrahana, so I joined even though to be honest, there were many suggestions from my good fellow TMs to check out other clubs before joining Tmn Indrahana.


Thus far, I’ve been with the club for 3 months now, I’ve attended most meetings where I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It amazes me the wit and skill that the general evaluators exhibited. The jokes were really good. I now know why table topics are important. “2 minute Impromptu speech on SPEED in the face of a speeding ticket, to quote Stephen Joseph”. Amidst numerous hilarious and enriching sessions, the best and most memorable night was my Ice Breaker speech night – “38 years in 5 minutes” to introduce myself. I had Leann to thank for her input on the way to go around putting together the introductions and Han to remind me to start working on it. A gentle push but a very important step indeed. Post speech, the standing ovation is a one in a lifetime experience. If I am the blushing type, I would have turned beet root. The evaluation by Kay Wong uplifted my confidence and made me want to rush on for a 2nd speech. People all around were very supportive, congratulating me for a job well done. One would think that I’ve conquered Mount Everest . That night, I felt 10 feet tall.


I don’t profess to have much experience being a TM. I’m only going on to speech no. 2. So I won’t give any advice. Yet. Hopefully 3 – 5 years down the road, I will be able to inspire the newbies as I am now inspired by my seniors in TM.


Lydia Wang, TM

Comments

  1. Dear Lydia,

    Thank you for your sincere comments on your experiences with our club.
    On behalf of all the club members I thank you for choosing our club to be your home club.
    I can assure you that you will definitely learn alot with us and we will learn alot from you as well.
    I will arrange your comments in our blog site so that all our members can benefit from your experience.

    Thank you and happy toast mastering.

    Regard Thian Seng VPPR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia,
    Thank you for your contribution. I am moved by your passion!

    Regards,
    Jade

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Revamp!!

Notice The club blogpage will be undergoing a revamp between 29th Jul 2017- 3rd Aug 2017 so if you experience the blog layout and content looking different this next week, do not be alarmed. It is just us bringing our page to new heights. Do bear with us during this transision.  Cheers!

What a scintillating Meeting@27July'10!

Dear Indrahanians & DTM Sivalingam, Last evening, Thian Seng came first, followed by Victor Ong to set up the meeting room. Soon after, the others trooped in – and very soon, we were ready to begin. Kay Wong’s presidential address is always a delight to hear because she uses stories to draw us in; stories that make us ponder and reflect. And when she’s finished with her narration, a lesson will have been imprinted in our consciousness! Our Immediate Past President and Area B2 Governor, Han Lee Hwee took control of the meeting as TME, and he too launched another short story. I tell you – we do have engaging storytellers at Taman Indrahana and they are all talented. And then we had Alice Ong in her familiar role as Humor Master. I have often found her to be an interesting humorist – there’s something about her I cannot put my finger on. Perhaps it’s that gleaming sparkle in her eyes? Or her mirthful demeanor? Or her chirpy smile? Whatever it is – I sense this welcomed warmth i...