Skip to main content

Presidential Address 26 May 2009

Hi Fellow Taman Indrahana Members, Good Day.

It is with great pleasure and excitement that I take up the role of President of our club. It is a great honour to represent such a highly respected, matured and professional group and I look forward, with the support of my exco team and our members, in tackling the challenges of the many strategic plans and actions in the year ahead.

At the start, I want to acknowledge the work of the outgoing President, Yap Choi Woon and her team. We want to thank her and her team for undertaking the club business and club projects in the past year. Well done. We wish you and your team good health in the year ahead.

I look forward to continuing the key strategies and focus areas previously led by Choi Woon, and working with my team and our members to achieve another year of meaningful progress.

During the past few years we have achieved remarkable results in terms of education and training. We have no problem in achieving our Distinguished Club Program (DCP) points in this area. Nevertheless, we are concerned that we have been less successful in creating and facilitating smooth and effective relationships amongst members, especially the newer ones. It has become increasingly important for us to ask the fundamental questions that will lead to a better understanding of these relationships.

I believe that it is necessary to tackle this concern by shifting our club’s focus from being too DCP-oriented towards holistic development of our members. This will investigate the changes needed, how to implement the changes, and address change management and transition risks.

For this, we will be seeking advice and guidance from two of our very experienced and dedicated members, Dominic G. Joseph and Yeoh Cheng Lim, who will be in the exco team to help us address this issue. Thank you, Dom and Yeoh.

Dom will focus on Education and Training, and Yeoh will work on Marketing and Public Relations. We desire to have a helicopter view from both of them, advising how we can both capitalize on our strengths – Education and Training – and remedy our weaknesses in Marketing and Public Relations for member development and retention. These areas are key in finding solutions to the current concern.

I look forward to receiving comments and guidance offered from others members of the club on the contents of this Presidential Address, our club’s current strategic plans and priorities, or any other relevant issue!

I am honoured to accept the challenges associated with being your President and I look forward to leading this Club. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Han Lee Hwee
In-coming President 2009/2010
Taman Indrahana Toastmasters Club

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Revamp!!

Notice The club blogpage will be undergoing a revamp between 29th Jul 2017- 3rd Aug 2017 so if you experience the blog layout and content looking different this next week, do not be alarmed. It is just us bringing our page to new heights. Do bear with us during this transision.  Cheers!

What a scintillating Meeting@27July'10!

Dear Indrahanians & DTM Sivalingam, Last evening, Thian Seng came first, followed by Victor Ong to set up the meeting room. Soon after, the others trooped in – and very soon, we were ready to begin. Kay Wong’s presidential address is always a delight to hear because she uses stories to draw us in; stories that make us ponder and reflect. And when she’s finished with her narration, a lesson will have been imprinted in our consciousness! Our Immediate Past President and Area B2 Governor, Han Lee Hwee took control of the meeting as TME, and he too launched another short story. I tell you – we do have engaging storytellers at Taman Indrahana and they are all talented. And then we had Alice Ong in her familiar role as Humor Master. I have often found her to be an interesting humorist – there’s something about her I cannot put my finger on. Perhaps it’s that gleaming sparkle in her eyes? Or her mirthful demeanor? Or her chirpy smile? Whatever it is – I sense this welcomed warmth i...

Voice of Indrahanians - My 2 Cents

The toastmaster club was a chance incident that Patrick Daya over the course of a dinner spoke to me about. It was sometime in Oct’08. I have heard about Toast Masters Clubs long before this but had never had the opportunity of having one of my friend/colleague actually being actively involved in one. So out of curiosity I asked him if he could bring me along. He kindly did. As we were both from the same office building, I trailed him to the venue. It was a great first time experience – my first visit as a guest, in November 08. Besides Patrick was really a very solicitous host, Jen Wong, Jade, Choi Woon and Yeoh went out of their way to make me feel at home. The speeches that day was from May and Patrick. I remembered how supportive and nurturing the environment was. There was no sense of threat and comments/critique were given sincerely and received good naturedly. It was a very positive experience indeed. I attended another 2 sessions, this time bringing my ...